Friday, January 09, 2009

John Wesley's Covenant Prayer for the New Year

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, would hold Watch Night services on New Year's Eve and have his Methodist communities renew their covenant with God in preparation for the New Year. Here is the prayer he used - appropriate for us as we face a new year with challenges for peace and prosperity.

I am no longer my own, but yours, O God.
Tell me what you want me to do, and I will do it.
Tell me who you want me to work with, and I will join them gladly.
If you want me to work, I will work.
If you want me to wait, I will wait.
Let me be raised up or put down for you, let me have many things or nothing.
I offer all that I have and all that I am to you, glorious and blessed God.
Help me to live each day to your glory.
And this covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.

No comments: